Hermeneutics - The Science of Interpretation
- In one sentence, define “hermeneutics.”
- Stein writes: “Some have suggested that meaning is a property of the text. It is the text that determines what a writing means.” (p. 18) In less than 50 words, present Stein’s best argument against this position.
- Stein also writes: "Some interpreters claim that the meaning of a text is determined by the reader." Do the same here. Lay out two good arguments against this view.
Choose 4. or 5. Answer as indicated.
- Sum up Stein's presentation of "The Author . . . as the Determiner of Meaning."
- Identify, explain-- and refute-- one significant objection to "the author as the determiner of meaning."
- Sum up in less than 100 words Stein's most useful, most convincing ideas in his discussion of "The Role of the Author."
Choose 7. or 8.
- Do the same (as in 6.) with Stein's discussion of "The Role of the Text."
- Or with his discussion of "The Role of the Reader."