Hermeneutics - The Science of Interpretation
- Why it is difficult to explain exactly what a parable is in the Old Testament and the New Testament, according to Stein? Be brief and to the point.
- Give a basic, “stripped-down” definition of “parable” (if you didn’t already do so in question no. 1).
- Give the basic idea of the method of interpreting a parable as allegory.
- Stein maintains that “A Parable Teaches a Main Point.” Identify two of the parables he discusses in this section and identify the main point in each.
- Stein maintains that the point the Evangelist (gospel writer) intended to make in recording a parable of Jesus was often different from the point that Jesus intended to make. Explain briefly how Stein illustrates this point.
- What are Stein’s four “Guidelines for Arriving at the Main Point”? Illustrate/explain two of the four.