Book One, Chapter 1 "The Sermon: Its Definition and Purpose"
- Define “sermon.”
- Define “homiletics” and distinguish between homiletics and the sermon.
- Identify and explain the importance of each part of Phelps’ definition of a sermon.
Book Two, Chapter 1 "The Value of Expository Preaching"
- What is an expository sermon? How does it differ from other types?
- What are some specific values of expository preaching?
- Explain how the expository method helps to answer the question: “What shall I preach about next Sunday?”
- How does expository preaching make it easier to introduce topics that are unwelcome?
- How is expository preaching beneficial not only to the preacher but also to the congregation?
- Knott maintains that “exposition is one of the rarest products of the pulpit.” How does he explain this predicament? What are some of the causes?