Book One, Chapter 7 and Book Two, Chapter 7
Book One, Chapter 7 "The Development"
- According to Knott, there are “several things necessary for the successful development of any sermon.” Identify four of these things, or conditions, and explain them.
- What is the best time of day for study, for most people, according to Knott? Which is the worst time of day? Which is the best time of day for you?
- Knott suggests the following principles for guiding the preacher in the selection of his materials: it must be vital, it must be relevant to the theme, and it should be characterized by originality. Explain and illustrate these principles.
- Identify and explain three ways that the desirable quality of originality can be attained.
- Identify the four literary forms that may be used in the development of sermons. Explain, describe, illustrate two of them.
- Prepare a sermon outline that contains a text, theme, brief introduction, proposition, main divisions and sub-divisions that show the development of the sermon. Give brief illustrations and show where they go in the development.
Book Two, Chapter 7 "The Development"
- Knott says, “. . . the first thing in the development is to explain and then to apply.” Identify and explain three methods of making the application.
- What is the main difference between expository development and the development of any other type of sermon?—according to Knott.
- What are the advantages of the expository method for preachers?
- Choose two questions listed on page 92 (excluding question no. 1), and answer them as well as you can.